03 March, 2010

Want to see my "schoolroom"?

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991



I have met many homeschoolers who think having a schoolroom is appalling - over the years (and 5 houses) I have had a variety of different situations and for us I much prefer having a dedicated schoolroom.
It keeps my house clean, my school organzied and is just a better overall way for us.

This is the girls room........ after they cleaned it!

I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx
Boy's room

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new after all. ~Abraham Lincoln

Entrance into my room/schoolroom

Medicine for the soul. ~Inscription over the door of the Library at Thebes



A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint.... What I began by reading, I must finish by acting. ~Henry David Thoreau


Cozy, right?

I should include pictures of my garage and attic.  That is where the rest of my school stuff is -
In my room, are 7 of the floor to ceiling shelves, and three shorter ones.  Plus, my monstrous desk.
You can see books piled EVERYWHERE - dressers, floor (note my night stand in the picture directly over this, it is a stack of the coffee table sized books, with a tray on top.

A few years back, I purchased Decorating with Books, and I am so glad I did.  It had some ideas I hadn't thought of.

There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and a tired man who wants a book to read. ~G.K. Chesterton

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint.... What I began by reading, I must finish by acting. ~Henry David Thoreau

The multitude of books is making us ignorant. ~Voltaire

1 comment:

Christine said...

Thank you for mentioning A Year with the Saints... I had never heard of the book, but it sounds very good. I think that I know what I want for Mother's Day. ;)